Pages

Monday, December 17, 2012

Spring Roll Kitchen (2395 111 Street)

Despite the bad reviews that this place has recieved, yes, this place probably deserves them. The service here is probably tops the top tens unhumanitarian and unclean viet restaurants in Edmonton. I believe that the service here may be on par with the Pho Hoa inside West Edmonton Mall. Half the time, you seat yourself in an awkward place because the waitress/owner doesn't clean off most of the tables. And this is at like 2pm, way past the lunch hour.

Since the bad is out of the way. Lets begin!
Spring Roll Kitchen has chosen a nice location to open its doors. You can find this in Century Park, right by the Starbucks and that Brewsters. Its easily acessible via public transit and there's plenty of parking INCLUDING handicap because a medical clinic is next doors. Renovation-wise is  very modern. The place is open and surrounded by glass - it gets really bright in the summer and really cold in the winter if you sit by the windows. Despite the poor reviews, I find myself going back. Sure, just because I'm asian I can tolerate bad behaviour and get away without tipping or showing poor consumer choices. I get it. I'm just as bad. I'm a poor student and I'm not willing to go all the way to Chinatown some days for good viet food. Spring Roll Kitchen just happens to be in the south side, the only other actual competitors being Pagolac South and Pho Hoa Elle.


I've tried a bunch of their food on several different occasions. Its okay, maybe just mediocre. Its not exactly the best, but on a good day, it might be better than Pags. I think the wavering quality of food between poor and decent is based on the mood of the lady that brings you the the table. For instance, the bun bo hue, the level of spiciness.... is substantially different everytime ranging from "OMG can I have more tea? Okay blatantly ignored" to "are you sure you didn't just give me pho dac biet". That being said, its always the same amount of food in my plate each time. In fact, the amount is consistent, its just some qualities of the food differ from time to time.

Anyways, I find myself coming back. Maybe one day they'll get a better attitude. As long as I don't feel like they're spitting into my food or any other sanitary issues, I'll be back.

 Spring Roll Kitchen on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment