Pages

Friday, February 1, 2013

Izakaya Tomo (3739 99 St)

So I know I haven't updated in a while. My phone broke, I got a new one and recovering all my pictures were a pain. 

Anyways, back in January, this little shop opened up. Izakaya Tomo is found in a weird awkward industrial part of town. Its hard to spot, but its by the south side Canada Post depot and tucked along side Don's Photo and a little pho place. 

When I went, it was quite busy. Reservations can be made in advance. I guess thats what happens when a new place opens up. You're first greeted by a friendly... er, friendly servers. The place itself is very small. A few bar stools. And very small tables. You won't fit more than 4 people.  The server seats you and gives you a menu. Then he introduces the place. (Apparently Izakaya is a bar or pub style in Japanese). He mentions the portions are very small and they're mainly appetizers or finger food, as he liked to put it.

The drink selection at Izakaya Tomo is very large, for Japanese imports, and for non alcoholic popular drinks. Outside the standard pop and juices, they offer Japanese teas, Japanese beers (not many domestic ones sorry!), and popular Japanese drinks (includes yakult and calpico!)

So you order the drinks and you open the menu. Its about 4 pages. Most of the food is decently priced, maybe on the pricey side once you see the sizes. The selection of sushi and standard Japanese meals are very limited. Everything in the menu has a western take or a very Japanese take. Like the server warns you, the portions are appetizer sized. Probably the larger dishes are udon and rice dishes but not so much.  Anyways, I've attached some images for you: 
 
Tuna Tataki - very fresh tuna in ponzu sauce with the right amount of onions and seaweed!

Takoyaki - very freshly fried and light and crispy inside. A large helping of dried octopus flakes on top. 

Fried Oyster Balls - the top part is a light yam hash 

Beef Tataki - thinly sliced meet in ponzu sauce over a bed of onions

I did order other things, but I got kinda hungry and I started eating those dishes before taking a picture. I enjoyed this place but I am kind of on the fence about coming back. Maybe its because I tend to avoid a bar setting when eating with my partner in crime. But, the atmosphere is enjoyable despite a bit cramp. 

If you get a chance, try it out! The food isn't really bad at all. :) 



Izakaya Tomo on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment